Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Guillotine Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting messages, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, and fewer ads.

Email forum@theguillotine.com to find out how to get an account.

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Two clasping calls without stopping the match
Topic Started: Jan 6 2018, 11:39 PM (696 Views)
double_under
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
I witnessed something today that I had never seen or heard of before. Wrestler A was in the top position to start the third period with a 2-0 lead. Wrestler B comes to his feet and wrestler A locks hands around the waist to return B to the mat. He doesn't release the clasp so the referee gives the clasp signal (doesn't stop match as wrestler B is still attempting a switch). Wrestler A finally releases the clasp and wrestler B comes to his feet immediately (match still hasn't been stopped to award the clasping penalty point) wrestler A locks hands around the waist again and returns B to the mat a 2nd time but again doesn't release the clasp in a timely matter. The referee finally stops the match but awards 2 points to wrestler B for two separate clasping calls. Is this the correct call or should the match have been stopped after the first clasp?

Wrestler A ended up losing the match in OT.
Wrestler A's team ended up losing the dual by 4 points.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

3girlsanddad
Member Avatar
4 girls and dad
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I saw this happen last year at a tournament. I asked a couple other refs about the call and said it was absolutely correct. Two separate clasps, two separate penalty points. I like the call.

double_under
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree that two separate clasps should be two separate points. The problem that I have is that the match is supposed to be stopped when the offensive wrestler commits the penalty, thus the 2nd clasp call shouldn't have come in to play.

WrestlingOfficial
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Locked hands is a delayed call and wrestling is allowed to continue
Because the defensive wrestler was about to get away when on feet wrestling continues. Now depending how quickly the defensive wrestler got back to his feet after the first penalty I can see wrestling continue and if he locks again then it is another penalty

KodiakCoach
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is a case of the "free move" coaches yell (which is incorrect of course). As WrestlingOfficial states it is the timing. When the switch attempt ended (or it becomes obvious that it wouldn't succeed) the match could/should (depending on timing) have been stopped. However if the standup was a continuation of the switch attempt (continuation being the key) then the match would continue and the second violation was correct.

minnesotamatrat
No Avatar
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
KodiakCoach
Jan 10 2018, 12:13 AM
This is a case of the "free move" coaches yell (which is incorrect of course). As WrestlingOfficial states it is the timing. When the switch attempt ended (or it becomes obvious that it wouldn't succeed) the match could/should (depending on timing) have been stopped. However if the standup was a continuation of the switch attempt (continuation being the key) then the match would continue and the second violation was correct.
Just curious, why do you say it is incorrect for coaches to yell “free move”?
I’ve always used the analogy from football when the defense jumps offsides. The quarterback should throw a deep pass, because even if the pass gets intercepted the offense can just accept the penalty and keep the ball.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ask a Ref · Next Topic »
Add Reply