Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Guillotine Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting messages, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, and fewer ads.

Email forum@theguillotine.com to find out how to get an account.

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Coaching Changes
Topic Started: Mar 28 2018, 02:03 PM (24,796 Views)
grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Another coaching change and probably more to come

Sammie Hensonís contract was not renewed by West Virginia. They will begin a search for a new head coach as well.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wisconsin-Chris Bono
Michigan-Sean Bormet
Presbyterian-Mark Cody
SDSU
Cleveland State
Little Rock Arkansas
West Virginia

Edited by grappler6, Mar 28 2018, 02:24 PM.

Big Bird
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
IMO, good decision by WVU. His teams haven't really progressed and outside of Moisey's magical run, there isn't a ton to point to in the last several years

Turd Bag
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Agreed. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. That is always somewhat of a risk with a hire. Hoping SDSU doesn't have that problem with its hire.

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.wiwrestling.com/coach-bono-on-the-record-a-new-beginning-part-two/

Bonoís first Interview

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://iawrestle.com/2018/04/02/the-chris-bono-era-at-wisconsin-set-to-begin/

Bono interview

fatnbald
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
grappler6
Mar 29 2018, 04:58 PM
Funny his quote about Wisconsin kids, securing the border. He said Ben Askren is big on keeping kids in Wisconsin. Ahem, not quite. Ben has been one of the biggest reasons why Mizzou keeps getting some of Wisconsin's top kids. Unless Bono hires him as an assistant (which won't happen) I'm not sure if I see the pipeline to Mizzou shutting down.

Aarons23
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
fatnbald
Apr 2 2018, 01:24 PM
grappler6
Funny his quote about Wisconsin kids, securing the border. He said Ben Askren is big on keeping kids in Wisconsin. Ahem, not quite. Ben has been one of the biggest reasons why Mizzou keeps getting some of Wisconsin's top kids. Unless Bono hires him as an assistant (which won't happen) I'm not sure if I see the pipeline to Mizzou shutting down.
Ben doesn't control the "pipe line" of Wisconsin kids. 2 kids went to Missouri that had coaching by his club.....both also wrestled at other clubs like many of the Askren trained....none are AA's or even in starting line ups in a D1 college. With or with out Ben...Bono will be fine. The clear shift of climate from Davis to Bono will attract more Wisco kids to UW. Now its a matter of Wisco developing competitive D1 wrestlers.

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Benís gripe was that he felt Davis did not always recruit the best kids from Wisconsin. He is open to his athletes staying in state, he just felt not everyone deserving got that opportunity.

Get after it
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
grappler6
Apr 2 2018, 02:51 PM
Benís gripe was that he felt Davis did not always recruit the best kids from Wisconsin. He is open to his athletes staying in state, he just felt not everyone deserving got that opportunity.
Sounds like this was the gripe by a lot of Wisco backers. The funny thing is that losing Breske sounded like it was the last straw for a lot of them, and as it turns out they may not have missed out on much.

Aarons23
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Happydance23
Apr 2 2018, 02:38 PM
fatnbald
grappler6
Ben doesn't control the "pipe line" of Wisconsin kids. 2 kids went to Missouri that had coaching by his club.....both also wrestled at other clubs like many of the Askren trained....none are AA's or even in starting line ups in a D1 college. Witph or with out Ben...Bono will be fine. The clear shift of climate from Davis to Bono will attract more Wisco kids to UW. Now its a matter of Wisco developing competitive D1 wrestlers.
Edited by Aarons23, Apr 2 2018, 03:12 PM.

Aarons23
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
grappler6
Which of Bens wrestlers went somewhere else and was successful? The problem is Wisco hasnt developed successful D1 wrestlers consistently....No Davis didnt get Alex Deiringer nor Ben or Max. Ben was considered a risk thought not to excell at d1 level..... Davis was out recruited by John Smith and ultimately I believe AD would have never developed into the wrestler he did anywhere else. Other than them in recent years.....who did they miss on?

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Happydance23
Apr 2 2018, 03:13 PM
grappler6
Which of Bens wrestlers went somewhere else and was successful? The problem is Wisco hasnt developed successful D1 wrestlers consistently....No Davis didnt get Alex Deiringer nor Ben or Max. Ben was considered a risk thought not to excell at d1 level..... Davis was out recruited by John Smith and ultimately I believe AD would have never developed into the wrestler he did anywhere else. Other than them in recent years.....who did they miss on?
Ben is talking about the state of Wisconsin as a hole, not just the guys he has coached. His feelings go all the way back to when he wasnít recruited as more than a walk on at WI. He has talked about it a few times on his podcasts.

Barou
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Happydance23
Apr 2 2018, 03:09 PM
Happydance23
Apr 2 2018, 02:38 PM
fatnbald
grappler6
Ben doesn't control the "pipe line" of Wisconsin kids. 2 kids went to Missouri that had coaching by his club.....both also wrestled at other clubs like many of the Askren trained....none are AA's or even in starting line ups in a D1 college. With or with out Ben...Bono will be fine. The clear shift of climate from Davis to Bono will attract more Wisco kids to UW. Now its a matter of Wisco developing competitive D1 wrestlers.
Are you serious? During the Davis era? Let's see he missed on 3 timer Dieringer (1 Hodge), 2 timer B Askren (2 Hodges), 2 timer Hartung (you know him well), 2 timer Conrad (you know him well), 1 time NC (M Askren) plus some AA's

By being "out recruited" by John Smith do you mean John Smith going to the Dieringer house for visits more than Davis then ya I guess he out recruited him. Port Washington is like 2 hours away from Madison in case anyone is wondering. Not sure how long it took John Smith to fly in from Stillwater.

Ben never actively directed athletes to NOT go to Wisconsin. If kids and their parents had questions about WI or Mizzou he gave his opinion. He claims to have a good relationship with the Badger assistants Brandvold and Ruschell. Crone graduated from Arrowhead (where Ben went to HS) and he chose WI. Seems misleading to suggest that Askren somehow went out of his way to direct kids away from UW.

Barou
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
grappler6
Apr 2 2018, 03:18 PM
Happydance23
grappler6
Ben is talking about the state of Wisconsin as a hole, not just the guys he has coached. His feelings go all the way back to when he wasnít recruited as more than a walk on at WI. He has talked about it a few times on his podcasts.
He was offered 1/4 scholarship from UW. Split a 1/2 between him and Wunnicke.

Aarons23
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Barou
Apr 2 2018, 03:20 PM
grappler6
Happydance23
grappler6
He was considered a risk....thats was Bens fault. How many other Big10 schools offered him more? I havent said Ben steered anyone away.....but Ben has less to do with where Wisco kids go than you give him credit for. Thats why I ask....which of Bens kids are having successful college career? No more than any other Wisconsin club.....so this discussion about needing Bens help to keep Wisconsin kids is silly. Bono will do it with or without him.

Barou.....he didnt get the job....not even considered....get over it!
Edited by Aarons23, Apr 2 2018, 03:34 PM.

Work4ATurn
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
grappler6
Happydance23
grappler6
He's right. The state of Wisconsin is a "hole". ;)

planbe
Member Avatar
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
He'll have first crack at any quality wrestlers that Wisconsin does produce and he's 2 hours from Chicago area, 4 hours from Minneapolis area and 3 hours from Iowa City area. I like his chances of being able to recruit a pretty solid program in that geographical area.

fatnbald
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term "pipeline", but most certainly Ben has been a contact for Brian Smith in regards to Wisconsin, and not a proponent of Davis. The two most recent top guys that wrestled for/with Askren's club and are now going to Mizzou are Mocco and Rashka.
Ben is a Mizzou alum. He isn't going to turn his back on that program. Maybe he and Bono have a good connection, but that doesn't end his relationship with the Tiger program. If Ben was on the Wisconsin staff, sure, he would pull for guys to join Wisconsin, but that isn't the case.

Barou
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Happydance23
Apr 2 2018, 03:30 PM
Barou
grappler6
Happydance23

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
He was considered a risk....thats was Bens fault. How many other Big10 schools offered him more? I havent said Ben steered anyone away.....but Ben has less to do with where Wisco kids go than you give him credit for. Thats why I ask....which of Bens kids are having successful college career? No more than any other Wisconsin club.....so this discussion about needing Bens help to keep Wisconsin kids is silly. Bono will do it with or without him.

Not sure I've said anything that merited a response of "get over it". I wish Askren would have gotten the job but Bono was a good choice and to be quite honest as long as Davis is gone it could have been just anybody short of Minkle they could have hired that would look to jump start a stagnant program.

I don't think as many people considered him a risk at all. A bunch of forum adults labeled him a risk because he walked around with a briefcase and megaphone and was an immature teenager. He didn't drink, smoke, do drugs, etc. Honor roll student that loves the sport. I would think there were/are a heck of a lot more "risks" then Askren ever was. Brian Smith certainly didn't think he was a risk. As far as other offers, I can't say. I know about the Wisconsin one and I believe Ben mentioned that J Rob and Minnesota recruited him as well but I have no idea what they offered him if anything. Someone mentioned that he was only recruited as a walk-on to UW which is false so I wanted to clarify.

As far as his club I would say it's still a little early to give a college grade on it. I believe AWA was considered the most successful club at youth state in WI that they just had recently but I can't confirm it. Bono was smart to reach out to Askren. It's not like Wisconsin is producing a whole lot of D1 talent but we occasionally have a strong class or a blue-chipper now and then.

Aarons23
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Barou
Apr 3 2018, 06:59 AM
Happydance23
Barou
grappler6

Not sure I've said anything that merited a response of "get over it". I wish Askren would have gotten the job but Bono was a good choice and to be quite honest as long as Davis is gone it could have been just anybody short of Minkle they could have hired that would look to jump start a stagnant program.

I don't think as many people considered him a risk at all. A bunch of forum adults labeled him a risk because he walked around with a briefcase and megaphone and was an immature teenager. He didn't drink, smoke, do drugs, etc. Honor roll student that loves the sport. I would think there were/are a heck of a lot more "risks" then Askren ever was. Brian Smith certainly didn't think he was a risk. As far as other offers, I can't say. I know about the Wisconsin one and I believe Ben mentioned that J Rob and Minnesota recruited him as well but I have no idea what they offered him if anything. Someone mentioned that he was only recruited as a walk-on to UW which is false so I wanted to clarify.

As far as his club I would say it's still a little early to give a college grade on it. I believe AWA was considered the most successful club at youth state in WI that they just had recently but I can't confirm it. Bono was smart to reach out to Askren. It's not like Wisconsin is producing a whole lot of D1 talent but we occasionally have a strong class or a blue-chipper now and then.
Bono has reached out many Wisconsin clubs....also please produce some valid source other than AWA coaches and members that they were the most successful club at youth state. They are not better at producing D1 athletes than any other club.

Funny how you always make Ben a victim....adults labeled him a risk???? Actually coaches recruiting did....Dana White did and from the sounds of it so did the powers at be at UW....I believe they said they were concerned about the circus he would create. Ben Askren is not a victim except to himself....he built his persona and its clear he thrives on that.

1 other thing.....I think Ben has a lot to offer the sport....especially Wisconsin. I hope he realizes that its that persona that kept him from being a real contender for the job. I am told he was asked to head up the freestyle portion of thr RTC....I hope he does this. I hope he does it because he can make a difference.
Edited by Aarons23, Apr 3 2018, 07:34 AM.

Barou
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Happydance23
Apr 3 2018, 07:24 AM
Barou
Apr 3 2018, 06:59 AM
Happydance23
Barou

Bono has reached out many Wisconsin clubs....also please produce some valid source other than AWA coaches and members that they were the most successful club at youth state. They are not better at producing D1 athletes than any other club.

Funny how you always make Ben a victim....adults labeled him a risk???? Actually coaches recruiting did....Dana White did and from the sounds of it so did the powers at be at UW....I believe they said they were concerned about the circus he would create. Ben Askren is not a victim except to himself....he built his persona and its clear he thrives on that.

1 other thing.....I think Ben has a lot to offer the sport....especially Wisconsin. I hope he realizes that its that persona that kept him from being a real contender for the job. I am told he was asked to head up the freestyle portion of thr RTC....I hope he does this. I hope he does it because he can make a difference.
I don't think he is a victim at all. I don't think UW was worried about a circus either. I think it was a typical Barry Davis misfire. He was not good at recognizing and developing D1 talent (generally speaking, I know he didn't miss on everybody). J Rob didn't label him as a risk. Brian Smith didn't label him as a risk. I'd say the Minnesota and Missouri programs with their "powers at be" far exceeded the UW coaching staff (not even close really). As for Dana White it's my understanding that his riff with Askren has absolutely zero to do with "risk" and pretty sure in the UFC world they don't care a whole lot about risks. He basically said he found Askren boring and isn't exciting enough for the UFC. What are you hearing?

Yes I'm aware that Bono reached out to many clubs. I have no valid source that AWA was the most successful club at youth state which is why I specifically posted "I can't confirm it". That was information I heard 3rd hand from a friend involved with another club.

He was a real contender though. He was on campus for an interview doesn't that make him a "real contender". Props to Askren and his persona he said on his podcast that he was disappointed that he didn't get the job but that Bono was a great choice.

He has a lot to offer to the sport we agree on that. I can tell you that he is revered by the vast majority of WI wrestling.

getyourpoints
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think Ben and Max both have a lot to offer Wisconsin wrestling. I don't know Ben on a personal level but Max trained/Coached my son off and on for 3 or 4 years and did a great job and he is a wonderful guy.
I had conversations with the head coach of the BRTC last fall and he expressed the UW frustration with not recruiting in Minnesota for almost a decade. He made mention how well Bono was doing in recruiting MN kids to SDST and Barry could not, especially considering both WI and SD have full tuition reciprocity. This makes me believe that Bono was the main man in their sights before they even released Davis. So IMO they interviewed Ben to start bridging the gap between the two parties, Ben has been very openly critical of the Badgers over the past couple of years.
I also think that deep down everyone knew Ben isn't currently qualified for a head coaching position with very limited D1 coaching experience and none in almost a decade. Ben is a master at marketing the sport of wrestling and knew that weather he got the job or not it would bring great attention to AWA.
I think AWA is a solid club no better or worse then a few other clubs in Wisconsin. However if we are judging there club success it needs to be judged on D1 prospects, D1 level success and if you compare that to PinNicle or MN Elite they are not even in the same league. Remember PinNicle is only a year or two older then AWA, and many of AWA's top wrestlers also train at other clubs. So far Rashka is their best wrestler to come out of AWA and he was dismantled at the Cheese Head last year by then sophomore Greg Kerkvliet (2yrs younger). I like Rashka and Mocco but neither are blue chip wrestlers at this point.
Ben Askren has become one of the nations best wrestling promoters and I think that role could evolve even more, but at this point his success as a coach is still very unanswered.
Edited by getyourpoints, Apr 4 2018, 04:00 AM.

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Angel Escobedo replaces Duane Goldman as head coach at Indiana

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bono had Matt McDonough and Ryan Taylor in Madison interviewing for the assistant coach opening.

LngtimeGopherfan
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
grappler6
Apr 6 2018, 09:18 AM
Bono had Matt McDonough and Ryan Taylor in Madison interviewing for the assistant coach opening.
Losing McDonough would not go over well in Iowa. Especially if M* were to get SDSU job (please god no!!)
Edited by LngtimeGopherfan, Apr 6 2018, 09:41 AM.

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sounds like Bono intends to move on front Ruschell and Brandvold, the two remaining assistants.

Aarons23
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
grappler6
Apr 6 2018, 03:39 PM
Sounds like Bono intends to move on front Ruschell and Brandvold, the two remaining assistants.
This was a given from day 1

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Happydance23
Apr 6 2018, 04:53 PM
grappler6
There were some people that hoped at least one would be retained. Obviously was a long shot.

mndak
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
grappler6
Apr 6 2018, 10:02 PM
Happydance23
Apr 6 2018, 04:53 PM
grappler6
There were some people that hoped at least one would be retained. Obviously was a long shot.
Delusional.

4 users reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · College · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: