Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Guillotine Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting messages, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, and fewer ads.

Email forum@theguillotine.com to find out how to get an account.

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
WOW; just looking at some ND brackets
Topic Started: Feb 14 2006, 10:08 AM (1,709 Views)
smalltown
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
anyone else see this? theres a kid that is 0-16 in the state tourney, and alot of kids well under .500 http://ndhsaa.com/athletics/wrestling/ what you think ND has to do to keep this from going on? 1class instead of 2??
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mnmom
Member Avatar
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
Not only do they have a lot of wrestlers in the state tournament with losing records - if you notice, ND has also allowed "alternates" (at least in class A) just so they can fill a sixteen man bracket. In other words - basically everyone at the two (yes they only have two) region tournaments, are going to state, but they also are allowing a second wrestler (per weight class) from some schools to participate. I know that Wapheton qualified 16 wrestlers for the state tournament, so they have two alternates that qualified, in addition to their entire team, for the INDIVIDUAL TOURNAMENT.

bschultz66
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I like the 0-16 HWT I hope he gets his first win of the season at state

CalWarriorFan
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Did you also notice that they seed their state tourney.

mnmom
Member Avatar
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
CalWarriorFan
Feb 14 2006, 11:33 AM
Did you also notice that they seed their state tourney.

Yeah, and did you notice that some of the "seeded" wrestlers have losing records?

Rock Star
Member Avatar
...Rock on
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's all about numbers, you can't have a very good state tournament with 3 or 4 guys in a class. I think we should applaud ND for at least keeping the wrestling spirit alive. Consider yourself lucky to have the competiton you have.

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I had no idea that wrestling was in so much trouble up there. They definitely need to go to one class or even drop down to 8 man state brackets. Or even to do an all team state tournament. If there is so little interest there can't be that many wrestlers up there were it wouldn't be possible.

Man that really just sucks.

CalWarriorFan
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I did notice that. You would think that with so little participation, they would change their wrestling to a 1 class system. I wish Minnesota was at a 2 class system, but at least with 3 classes we can fill the brackets with quality wrestlers at each weight.

I think that North Dakota has somewhat taken away the accomplishment of making it to state. In Minnesota, it is still an accomplishment to make it to state.

meknowsalot
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Whats the big fuss? This has been going on for years. I remember beating kids at the Moorhead tournament and later they would place in state in ND and I wouldn't get close to making it in Minnesota. This is nothing new, surprised at how surprised all of you are. I do love that they seed it though.

mnwrestling69
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
what do you expect with such a low population??????? its great to see them making an effort though by allowing alternates to make it tougher.

CalWarriorFan
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mnwrestling69
Feb 14 2006, 12:22 PM
alternates to make it tougher.

do you really think those alternates are making it tougher with a 0-16 record? This is just my opinion. I didn't realize that it has been this bad for years, I am from southeastern Minnesota and the wrestling in our area is pretty top notch from both Wisconsin, but especially Iowa. So I didn't realize that the numbers were that bad for ND.

And someone said that their population is so low, well then they really need to think about going to a one class system. I think it really hurts their top notch wrestlers. Do you really think that somone from ND is going to get a good look from a top notch college after they win a state tournament with only 7 or 8 decent kids in the bracket? I know their are some exceptions, such as Lang and Glasser. but if they would go to a 8 man bracket or a 1 class system with an 16 man bracket, I bet you would get more kids noticed for college wrestling. Maybe I am way off, but this is my opinion.

bparlin
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I had no clue how down ND wrestling is. They have had some good individuals come out of the state.

bschultz66
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They get their chance at Fargo in July.

The competition may not be as deep, but they still have to work with what they can. Filling a bracket means more $$$, I'm sure that's why they do it.

B Squad bridger
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
There is only 14 teams in A and 24 teams in B in the whole state. This will happen when you have to fill the brackets.

Big Bird
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
ND has some very good individuals that could do well in Minnesota also. I've seen some of the wrestlers in the Fargo-Moorhead area and some are pretty tough. I've seen Jon Swart, Tyler Lehman, Andrey Patselov of Fargo North a few times and they could both well in Minnesota. You will be hearing from Tyler Lehman at nationals in Fargo and freestyle and greco tourneys across the country, he's only an 8th grader. He was on the same freestyle team as me and the kid is very very good at it, and I think he'll be an AA eventually.

As for the alternates making things better, I actually agree with it a little. Some teams like West Fargo have very good backups and they send there JV to some tourneys with the class B teams and they do pretty well. They have some backups who would start for quite a few teams in ND.

This is a down year for ND wrestling. The competition isn't even nearly at the level it was last year. I would like to see them go to a 1 class system with only 16 man brackets. I really hope that things only get better for ND wrestling, because they have some great kids who deserve the best.

squezzed
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
B Squad bridger
Feb 14 2006, 12:47 PM
There is only 14 teams in A and 24 teams in B in the whole state. This will happen when you have to fill the brackets.

Basically regions is just a formality. With only 14 teams in class A in the whole state its a "true" state tourny where everybody who wrestles gets to participate. Just show up at regions and your in.

There are alot of very good wrestlers with some very good teams, but its a numbers game compared to Minnesota.

badace2
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
wow this is unbeleavable....only 38 teams in the whole state....i can hardly beleave that....it just blows me away the difference between MN and ND....i totally agree that in MN making it to state is a very good accomplishment, i thought thats the way it was every where but im sadly mistaken.

smalltown
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ND states going on this weekend... some of you guy could go watch the ND state and then some of the 8a ind. tourney

gopher dragon fan
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
There are actually 18 class A teams and 38 Class B teams with kids at state.

There are regions in class B that are very tough. The problem is allot of the best teams are all in the same region.

squezzed
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
gopher dragon fan
Feb 15 2006, 07:20 PM
There are actually 18 class A teams and 38 Class B teams with kids at state.

There are regions in class B that are very tough. The problem is allot of the best teams are all in the same region.

Like Napolean and Ashley-Wishek.

badace2
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
with so few teams, i dnt understand why they wouldn't have one class.....It seems that High School Leages are trying to make everyone happy

squezzed
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The size of the schools in ND are form one extreme to the other. Fargo South is elbow to elbow, while some of the smaller schools are REALLy small. Might be part of the problem. It's like this with other sports too. Wrestling is more visible because of the individual part of the tourny.

smalltown
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
squezzed
Feb 15 2006, 08:08 PM
The size of the schools in ND are form one extreme to the other. Fargo South is elbow to elbow, while some of the smaller schools are REALLy small. Might be part of the problem. It's like this with other sports too. Wrestling is more visible because of the individual part of the tourny.

but still look at the records of some of the kids in the tourney class A... some with NO WINS???? i don't care about school size, put them all in 1 class, 4 regions and have at'er... just look at the class A brackets? some crazy stuff going on

squezzed
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I agree, Im not making excuses for them. It's just what we here.

slapthemat07
No Avatar
[ * ]
wow is right. but at least they keep wrestling and keep going after it. just sad that state doesnt mean as much. here it is still very very big

squezzed
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I actually think Napolean could win state if it were one class.

smalltown
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
squezzed
Feb 15 2006, 10:12 PM
I actually think Napolean could win state if it were one class.

agreed they are A very tough team in ND, would like to see them at the bigbear or maybe even the clash... what's there student population?

squezzed
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
according to their school website...230 k-12

103stud
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
A guy like me has a shot. Were moving to ND

deerslayer
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Minnesota's populations is over 4.6 million. North Dakota's population is something like 600,000 (with a lot if those in fargo). So that means they should have 1/7 as many teams as MN. This is not so. Their population is nowhere near ours. The comparison can not even be made. Same as MN can't be made to Alaska. Pretty much no one lives there. Pay attention to population.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · High School · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: