Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Guillotine Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
  • Pages:
AV's Delancy charged over Clash tantrum
Topic Started: Feb 12 2011, 01:00 PM (9,475 Views)
Iowan@heart
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2011 Rochester Post Bulletin

Wrestler charged for tossing chairs at tournament

Police say teenager from Oregon suffered concussion

By Matt Russell mrusseII@postbulletin.com

A high school wrestler from Apple Valley who allegedly injured a boy with a chair at a wrestling tournament in Rochester on Jan. 7 has been charged with two misdemeanors.

Harold Duke Delancy, 19, faces two counts of disorderly conduct after he allegedly struck a 16-year-old boy in the head with a chair at The Clash wrestling tournament at the University Center Rochester Regional Sports Center.

The victim, a wrestler from Oregon who was seated at a mat close to the mat where Delancy had just wrestled, suffered a concussion in the alleged incident, according to the Rochester Police Department.

According to the police report, Delancy pushed his coach aside after losing a match, then kicked chairs around that were set up near the wrestling mats. He started throwing chairs around, according to witness statements.

The victim said Delancy was holding the top of the chair at the time it struck the boy, with the legs of the chair hitting him in the temple area, according to the police report. Another witness told police that the victim had covered up his head before he was hit.

Delancy, who was ejected from the event, also kicked a garbage can into the stands after losing his match, accord¬ing to the police report. Delancy is scheduled to make his first appearance in Olmsted County District Court on Wednesday.

The area where the incident occurred was between two large wrestling mats that had two rows of chairs back to back, police said. There were about 3 feet between the two rows, and 10 to 12 chairs in each row.

Delancy told a police officer that he understood that this was not the way to act after a loss, according to the police report. Delancy's coach told police that Delancy has special needs and does not handle his emotions very well.

More than 6,000 wrestlers have participated in The Clash wrestling tournament over the years, and this is the first time an incident like this has happened, said tournament director Steve Patton.

“It's an isolated event," he said.

Apple Valley High School coaching staff and the school's athletic director took the incident very seriously, driving to Rochester after the tournament to discuss it with the organizing committee and to apologize for the wrestler's behavior, Patton said.

“They made it clear that this was something that wasn't tolerated or in any way allowed by that high school, and that they would follow up with the wrestler," he said.

The victim's parents said they would like to press charges but would more than likely not return to Minnesota to testify at a possible trial, according to police.
Wrestling is more than a sport, it's a family.

Disclaimer: Nothing I say should be considered to be the view of any wrestling, professional, or fraternal organizion. They are just my personal opinions or observations.
Offline Profile Goto Top

CropDuster
Member Avatar

[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
From an outside perspective of sorts...
Our guys competed at the Clash, wonderful tournament. We came to school Monday, excited that we accomplished what we did, but not content. However, after asking how we did, the most popular question was (in general), "What happened with that Apple Valley Heavyweight?"

Now, we didn't know the entire story, so we told what we knew. My point is that people knew about it, people who I didn't expect. They also knew that this was a freak incident and isn't an often occurence.

Just yesterday at a local ball game, my friend and I sat up by some parents. They know we wrestle, its apparent. They ask us during half-time if we have read the paper. We both gave them a look of, "No... it's the paper, why?" and they explained what was in it. They began discussing it. Later that brought the discussion of our section seed hopes, what was next, and what our JV was up to.

Although it is a black-eye, I think non-wrestling-people get that it isn't frequent or anything controllable, in this case.
I, CropDuster, once again ran my mouth like every other Penn State fan. I paid for it. Everything I say positive about Penn State for the next month is a lie. I really like Mike Evans and his mustache more than I like Cael and his cult-like followers. We can kiss the bonus point days goodbye. Oh, and gopherfan149 owned me on that bet.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MatRatWrestler
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
what
Feb 13 2011, 11:50 AM
MatRatWrestler
Feb 12 2011, 10:18 PM
MrMagoo
Feb 12 2011, 03:39 PM
WrestleMe
Feb 12 2011, 03:30 PM
Harold has not wrestled since The Clash nor has he been a member of the AV Wrestling Team.

This is a sad case. It is very difficult to decide when to pull the plug on a kid and when to continue to give second, third, etc....... chances. When to believe in the power of our sport to help a kid and when you just can't help them because they don't want your help. I feel very bad for the good people in AV who invest their efforts to improve kids, as people as well as wrestlers, and I sure hope people aren't ignorant enough to somehow poorly paint AV's program or our sport with a broad brush as a result of this sad incident.
I think most people would agree that Coach Jackson and his staff run a first class operation no matter what people think of the transfer situation there. No way do they tolerate behavior such as this. And I'm not a fan of AV either.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think people will assume all Apple Valley wrestlers are like this. I'm not a huge fan, either (respect their success, understand why top kids go there, don't think it's an even playing field), but most of their kids seem to have good sportsmanship. Of course, it's easier when you're winning :D But I've been to the state meet the last 4 years on the finals day, and I don't remember any bad sportsmanship--like when McCauley lost to Fisher. I don't remember if he had great sportsmanship, but I don't remember anything bad.

Tough sport, competitive, high adrenaline; most kids have a lapse sometime, but this seemed a little over the top, especially for an upperclassman. Some have a hard time controlling themselves--my son is one!--people have to work with them, but by that age they should have reasonable control.
Good post.
Thanks! My first compliment. Ever! :P

On a sidenote, my son is a youth wrestler and lost twice at Gopher State yesterday and did not throw a tantrum after either loss, for a change. I was more proud of him yesterday than ever!
"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gunna get." Forest Gump
Offline Profile Goto Top

rasslinmama
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Now this unfortunate story is on the front page of Yahoo and Rivals High School sites. Our sport can't catch a break!
No amount of ability is of the slightest avail without honor.

Inside me there's a thin woman fighting to get out...I can usually shut her up with chocolate.

Never live life unoticed.
Offline Profile Goto Top

cwillaert
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
jammen
Feb 13 2011, 09:00 AM
Wildcats77
Feb 12 2011, 01:42 PM
lcheecho
Feb 12 2011, 01:29 PM
I this Kid Still Wrestling?
Of course not. He was off the team after that incident. The website with the roster mentioned in the article just hasn't been updated.

Why hasn't it? If you can launch a website you can update the roster. Unless, of course, it doesn't matter to them.
I don't see him on the AV roster that's on the MSHSL site. And those are the official rosters. If he's not on that he's not on the team. Any other website that exists doesn't matter.
My son knows there are no monsters living under his bed but he has seen the one that lives on a maroon wrestling mat...the HalfNess Monster.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Glimmers Town
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Is that article correct? 19 year old senior?
~The obstacle is the path
~Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.
Offline Profile Goto Top

guillotine1
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
(Posted on behalf of Jim Jackson)

A Message to the Minnesota Wrestling Community

I would like to address the recent media issue regarding the Apple Valley Wrestling Program.

Recently, the media has published a story about a member of the Apple Valley wrestling team being charged for his actions at The Clash in Rochester. Let me begin by stating that I take full responsibility for what transpired at The Clash. I am extremely sorry for what happened. I sincerely regret the injury to a fellow wrestler and the negativity this incident has brought to our sport. In a situation like this, the only thing a person can do is apologize, learn from the event, do not repeat it and move forward.

Please know that the student-athlete involved in this event was removed from our team the day of the incident. I never thought about taking his name off our roster. Like any program, there are other names on the roster that have decided to no longer wrestle who came out at the beginning of the season. Removing his name from a list was not a priority for me at the time. Looking back we should have removed his name along with the other kids who are no longer on the team so there would be no misconceptions. People who follow wrestling know that this student-athlete has not competed since that Friday in Rochester.

That being said, it has always been my philosophy to teach/coach/help all kids. It is real easy to coach a great kid, the kids who have supportive parents, and the perfect home life. That’s the easy part. The challenge comes in working with student-athletes from all backgrounds, races, colors and creeds. In my opinion, a school should NEVER give up on a kid. It is our job as educators to work with ALL kids. We should work with all kids so hopefully they can become productive citizens.

Due to privacy issues, I cannot get into specifics about this student. I will say that he had a place where he felt part of a team and a family and he no longer has that connection. I understand people have right to their own opinions and I also understand the animosity towards Apple Valley. My only request is that people do not pass judgment on this high school student. There is an old saying “Do not judge a man until you have walked in his shoes.” I would imagine that very few have walked in his shoes.

Sincerely

Jim Jackson
Head Wrestling Coach
Apple Valley High School
Apple Valley MN

It's a great time to be a Minnesota Wrestling Fan.
Offline Profile Goto Top

easy2
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Glimmers Town
Feb 14 2011, 02:03 PM
Is that article correct? 19 year old senior?
You know, I don't see why everyone has such an issue with 19 year old seniors. Back more than 30 years ago when I still was in school, there were probably about 5-10 kids in my class that turned 19 during their senior year. Many things factor in. Yes poor performance during school can mean a kid is held back. Isn't that what everyone should want? So many times I've heard gripes about how teachers and staff don't care and just pass kids along to the next grade with the attitude "let them deal with it". So if this kid was held back for grades, isn't that a good thing? Maybe it was in 1st or 2nd grade, maybe not. Maybe it wasn't grades at all. Perhaps like my youngest, his folks felt when kindergarten was rolling along, this fellow just wasn't ready for school. I know when we struggled with that decision we consulted teachers, councellors, and other professionals while working out whether to wait another year or not. We were lucky to find a great pre-K program which helped get him ready for the next step. There are a few of you out there that know me and my son and would likely agree that it did work out pretty well. ;)

Anyway and again, it seems so many are agast at the notion that a kid might be 19 or for that matter 20 when they graduate. My question is how is that so much more remarkable than some kid graduating when he or she is 16 or 17? Just my opinion.

I truly hope that this kid gets the help he needs because 19 years old is way too young for folks to give up on him.
Online Profile Goto Top

gopherfan149
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Caleb Williams
Feb 12 2011, 01:00 PM
Quote:

ROCHESTER — An Apple Valley High School wrestler has been charged with two misdemeanors in the alleged assault of a wrestler from Oregon at a meet on Jan. 7, according to a report by the Rochester Post-Bulletin.

Harold Delancy, 19, faces two counts of disorderly conduct after he allegedly struck a 16-year-old wrestler from Oregon in the head with a chair at the Clash wrestling tournament at the University Center Rochester Regional Sports Center.

The Post-Bulletin reported that Delancy, a heavyweight, lost a match, then began throwing and kicking chairs that were arranged next to the mat. The victim was seated next to the mat and allegedly was struck with the legs of a chair that Delancy was holding, suffering a concussion.

Delancy was ejected from the event, which is considered the top prep duals meet in the nation, attracting teams from as far away as Oregon, California and Florida. Apple Valley won the tournament.

As of Friday night, Delancy was still listed on the Apple Valley roster. The Eagles are 18-time state champions and have won the past five Class 3A titles.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/116034919.html

From the original Rochester Post-Bulletin report.

Quote:

By Matt Russell
The Post-Bulletin, Rochester MN

A high school wrestler from Apple Valley who allegedly injured a bystander with a chair at a wrestling tournament in Rochester Jan. 7 has been charged with two misdemeanors.

Harold Duke Delancy, 19, faces two counts of disorderly conduct after he allegedly struck a 16-year-old boy in the head with a chair at The Clash wrestling tournament at the University Center Rochester Regional Sports Center.

The victim, a wrestler from Oregon who was seated at a mat close to the mat where Delancy had just wrestled, suffered a concussion in the alleged incident, according to the Rochester Police Department.

Officials from Apple Valley High School took the incident seriously. Read about it in Saturday's print edition of the Post-Bulletin.

http://www.postbulletin.com/news/stories/display.php?id=1444716

The only reason I'm posting this is for its news value only. I'm sure we are only about 2 posts away from transfers and "AV SUCKS" and "Nobody on my team would do that," but I believe it's important to discuss an issue that affects the public perception of our sport.
Yeah right. For news value only.

This is the year. Go for it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Caleb Williams
Auggie Homer
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
gopherfan149
Feb 14 2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the cheap shot. There is nothing to be gained from covering up the incident (not that I'm accusing anyone of doing so). It's a news story. Discussing this is healthy for the sport. It allows people to get their opinions off their chest and it looks like some facts have come out that may not have otherwise done so. It's better than rumors.

Also, I commend Coach Jackson for his statement. It goes to show that AV is classy organization.
Caleb Williams

Augsburg Wrestling Wiki: http://augsburgwrestling.info/
Offline Profile Goto Top

zeus
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wrestling creates challenges that benefit all who dare step on the mat. It is truly one of the greatest character building experiences a kid can engage in. Hopefully this young man was able to learn a few lessons that will help him in the rest of his life even though his wrestling was cut short. It is admirable that the AV staff put forth as much effort as they did for this kid, and unfortunate that they were not able to do more.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MrMagoo
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
guillotine1
Feb 14 2011, 02:09 PM

I would like to address the recent media issue regarding the Apple Valley Wrestling Program.

Recently, the media has published a story about a member of the Apple Valley wrestling team being charged for his actions at The Clash in Rochester. Let me begin by stating that I take full responsibility for what transpired at The Clash. I am extremely sorry for what happened. I sincerely regret the injury to a fellow wrestler and the negativity this incident has brought to our sport. In a situation like this, the only thing a person can do is apologize, learn from the event, do not repeat it and move forward.

Please know that the student-athlete involved in this event was removed from our team the day of the incident. I never thought about taking his name off our roster. Like any program, there are other names on the roster that have decided to no longer wrestle who came out at the beginning of the season. Removing his name from a list was not a priority for me at the time. Looking back we should have removed his name along with the other kids who are no longer on the team so there would be no misconceptions. People who follow wrestling know that this student-athlete has not competed since that Friday in Rochester.

That being said, it has always been my philosophy to teach/coach/help all kids. It is real easy to coach a great kid, the kids who have supportive parents, and the perfect home life. That’s the easy part. The challenge comes in working with student-athletes from all backgrounds, races, colors and creeds. In my opinion, a school should NEVER give up on a kid. It is our job as educators to work with ALL kids. We should work with all kids so hopefully they can become productive citizens.

Due to privacy issues, I cannot get into specifics about this student. I will say that he had a place where he felt part of a team and a family and he no longer has that connection. I understand people have right to their own opinions and I also understand the animosity towards Apple Valley. My only request is that people do not pass judgment on this high school student. There is an old saying “Do not judge a man until you have walked in his shoes.” I would imagine that very few have walked in his shoes.

Sincerely

Jim Jackson
Head Wrestling Coach
Apple Valley High School
Apple Valley MN

Its nice to read the post attributed to Coach Jackson. I agree that we should never give up on any kid. In fact I agree with the post in its entirety. And though I agree that DeLancy should be held fully accountable for what happened (legally and otherwise) I do have some empathy for the guy.

As far as the "black eye" this sport will supposedly suffer, this sort of thing (fights, temper tantrums) have been happening since day one. I don't think the entire sport is going to be negatively judged o this one nasty incident. It happens too often in too many sports. It will be somewhat newsworthy untill the legal aspect is taken care of then forgotten as it should be. Its time to learn from what you can then move on.

Lastly, why anyone would try to drag AV through the mud for this incident is beyond me. They are the ones who badmouth AV for anything they can think of. AV did the right thing. They gave the guy a second chance and it didn't work out. Sometimes these things end up working out quite well. Sad.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Iowan@heart
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Caleb Williams
Feb 14 2011, 05:00 PM
gopherfan149
Thanks for the cheap shot. There is nothing to be gained from covering up the incident (not that I'm accusing anyone of doing so). It's a news story. Discussing this is healthy for the sport. It allows people to get their opinions off their chest and it looks like some facts have come out that may not have otherwise done so. It's better than rumors.

Also, I commend Coach Jackson for his statement. It goes to show that AV is classy organization.
Well, I disagree. I don't think there is any value whatsoever in Guillotine gossip about a very sad situation that is now a legal matter. Discussing this is not healthy for our sport. I've been called twice by ESPN in the last 10 years. Once for a comment on skin issues and once on this incident. When we, ourselves, create more non-wrestling news, especially about a negatively viewed event, it's a disservice to our sport.

Why is it important for anyone to "get their opinion off their chest"? What sort of opinions are even relevant? The facts are that the incident is now taking another course and nothing that is said here will make any difference. Furthermore, there are no "facts" that will come out of anonymous internet chatter.

Disclaimer: Nothing I say should be considered to be the view of any wrestling, professional, or fraternal organizion. They are just my personal opinions or observations.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Rock
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Iowan@heart
Feb 15 2011, 07:14 AM
Caleb Williams
gopherfan149

Well, I disagree. I don't think there is any value whatsoever in Guillotine gossip about a very sad situation that is now a legal matter. Discussing this is not healthy for our sport. I've been called twice by ESPN in the last 10 years. Once for a comment on skin issues and once on this incident. When we, ourselves, create more non-wrestling news, especially about a negatively viewed event, it's a disservice to our sport.

Why is it important for anyone to "get their opinion off their chest"? What sort of opinions are even relevant? The facts are that the incident is now taking another course and nothing that is said here will make any difference. Furthermore, there are no "facts" that will come out of anonymous internet chatter.

I will agree with you to a certain extent. If we don't know the whole story we probably shouldn't comment.
But I can't agree with you when you say "When we, ourselves, create more non-wrestling news". The young man created the problem not the people on this forum.

I truley hope he gets the right help...
Can you smellalalalal what the Raiders are cookin????
"Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable
Offline Profile Goto Top

Coach Holiday
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
guillotine1
Feb 14 2011, 02:09 PM

Sincerely

Jim Jackson
Head Wrestling Coach
Apple Valley High School
Apple Valley MN

Coach Jackson is class! Well written.

I will back up his statement about leaving names on rosters. I just listed my section team last night and removed three names of kids that quit long ago- completely forgot to take them of the MSHSL roster! It happens!
Offline Profile Goto Top

almost21
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Its no black eye for wrestling! Not even a story in my opinion. The kid messed up!! Time to pay the price plan and simple, done end of story. To say this is another black eye for wrestling is stupid! lets see hockey has parents that have attacked and even killed a person at events..Basketball has brawls at all levels Pro and kids programs. Football how many times do you see brawls on Tv, parents, kids going crazy. Oh and what about world cup soccor thats another story!!!!! Move on!!
Offline Profile Goto Top

PostMortal
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
CropDuster
Feb 13 2011, 02:37 PM
Just yesterday at a local ball game, my friend and I sat up by some parents. They know we wrestle, its apparent. They ask us during half-time if we have read the paper. We both gave them a look of, "No... it's the paper, why?" and they explained what was in it. They began discussing it. Later that brought the discussion of our section seed hopes, what was next, and what our JV was up to.
Duster ... I don't even know what to say to you after a comment like that. Consider yourself on notice.

Honestly, I think it's only a black eye for those who were looking to give wrestling a black eye anyway. If this was a widespread issue, it'd be a problem. But it was one, bad, isolated incident. That said, it's been made worse by some of the media members who have chosen to run with the story in an inaccurate and sensationalized manner.

Really what bugs me most about this whole thing is reading the inaccuracies in the police report. They chose to interview mainly fans from Oregon, fans who were angry. I saw the mess, and what's in the police report is very far from what actually happened. I made the reporter who wrote the story in the PB aware of the inaccuracies ... and as you'll note in the PB version of the story, after pretty much every sentence, it says "according to the Police report."

Anyway, to me, it's just another instance of ... the haters are going to hate ... whether we're talking about Valley or just HS wrestling in general. Don't let one silly incident that was handled exactly how it should have been by all parties get you down.
[u][b]Don't ever let anyone make you feel like you don't deserve what you want.[/b][/u]
Offline Profile Goto Top

lilmatdog
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
PostMortal
Feb 15 2011, 11:32 AM
CropDuster
Feb 13 2011, 02:37 PM
Duster ... I don't even know what to say to you after a comment like that. Consider yourself on notice.

Honestly, I think it's only a black eye for those who were looking to give wrestling a black eye anyway. If this was a widespread issue, it'd be a problem. But it was one, bad, isolated incident. That said, it's been made worse by some of the media members who have chosen to run with the story in an inaccurate and sensationalized manner.

Really what bugs me most about this whole thing is reading the inaccuracies in the police report. They chose to interview mainly fans from Oregon, fans who were angry. I saw the mess, and what's in the police report is very far from what actually happened. I made the reporter who wrote the story in the PB aware of the inaccuracies ... and as you'll note in the PB version of the story, after pretty much every sentence, it says "according to the Police report."

Anyway, to me, it's just another instance of ... the haters are going to hate ... whether we're talking about Valley or just HS wrestling in general. Don't let one silly incident that was handled exactly how it should have been by all parties get you down.
Man am I glad you responded to this.

I am embarrassed to say that I assumed that your were the reporter, I did not look. I have been sitting here for a few days wondering why you were reporting it in what I considered a haphazard manner knowing that you knew better and was a little miffed. I owe you an apology for even thinking such thoughts........ maybe someday I will even get around to actually apologizing. ;) I do feel better knowing I was wrong.
MOTTO'S
On Debate Be careful of your thoughts; they may brcome words at any moment
On Finance It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere
On Self-worth I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect
On Philosophy I'm in my own little world. But it's OK, they all know me here
On Politics I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen to many of them get elected.
Offline Profile Goto Top

PostMortal
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Iowan@heart
Feb 13 2011, 12:50 PM
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2011 Rochester Post Bulletin

Wrestler charged for tossing chairs at tournament

Police say teenager from Oregon suffered concussion

By Matt Russell mrusseII@postbulletin.com

A high school wrestler from Apple Valley who allegedly injured a boy with a chair at a wrestling tournament in Rochester on Jan. 7 has been charged with two misdemeanors.
Last I checked LMD, my name isn't Matt Russell! HA!

No, when stuff like this happens, it's a news item. I reported what I witnessed in my notebook from the Clash, the day after it took place (in Saturday's paper).

I honestly don't feel like the story in the P-B was anything more than reporting what the cops gave our writer ... bare bones stuff, citing the police directly. It's a shame the police report looked as it did ... but even in the police report, they noted that they were hearing completely different things from different witnesses, including the injured wrestler.

I won't even link to it, but the story written by Cameron Smith at yahoo sports ... well there are complete fabrications in there, and he's attributing them to the P-B! Our management has been made aware, and I'm sure yahoo will be informed and it will be changed (I mean honestly, the guy from yahoo said in his story that the P-B reported that the kid from Oregon lost consciousness ... and it says nothing even remotely close to that in the PB story!!!) What Iowan posted is exactly what appeared in the P-B.

Anyway, this story is only going to be as big as we make it. Harold needed wrestling in his life, so that's what makes me really sad.

This changes nothing else. We're still going to have an amazing section tournament season and an even better state tournament.
[u][b]Don't ever let anyone make you feel like you don't deserve what you want.[/b][/u]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Iowan@heart
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
PostMortal
Feb 15 2011, 11:32 AM
My point exactly. Wrestling news to me is Destin McCauley setting the all-time wins record or Preston Lehman beating Logan Storley (and the class he showed after the loss), or the great things Coon Rapids has been able to do with their scholarships or the Mental Aerobics tournament.... This is isolated event is not "wrestling news".
Edited by Iowan@heart, Feb 15 2011, 12:12 PM.

Offline Profile Goto Top

justlucky7
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
“Do not judge a man until you have walked in his shoes.” I would imagine that very few have walked in his shoes.

taken from Jim Jackson written statement to the media.

Mr Jackson, thank you for writting this letter and your advice is so correct. I have lived my life to the motto you are quoted above. It was the way my parents raised the family.... The rest of you should just leave the comments alone, Let the state reap the rewards that wrestling brings to hundreds of individuals not only during tournament time but in their future as they are a different breed of athlete.... And I am also a person who over the years just does not want to hear about Apple Valley, but after reading Mr. Jackson's letter I can say that he is a man of class.

want to step outside? go ahead i will be there in just a minute.
Offline Profile Goto Top

buchancountyplowboy
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
Iowan@heart
Feb 15 2011, 07:14 AM
Caleb Williams
gopherfan149

then why copy and paste anything to do with the subject here or anywhere on this forum?
Edited by buchancountyplowboy, Feb 16 2011, 01:13 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

gopherfan149
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Caleb Williams
gopherfan149

Thats probably how valley felt too, after you posted that, considering the kid isnt even on the team anymore. If he was still, I agree talk all you want about it. Problem is, Valley dealt with it, right away, and moved on.

This is the year. Go for it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Glimmers Town
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
gopherfan149
Feb 16 2011, 07:30 AM
Caleb Williams
gopherfan149

Thats probably how valley felt too, after you posted that, considering the kid isnt even on the team anymore. If he was still, I agree talk all you want about it. Problem is, Valley dealt with it, right away, and moved on.
He was on the team when the incident happened, that's what people are commenting on. Valley did the right thing when dealing with it, but the fact is, he is not the victim here. Kudo's to AV for trying to help the kid out, but also shame on them if they had any idea this could happen.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Bog Man
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Glimmers Town
Feb 16 2011, 07:42 AM
gopherfan149
Caleb Williams
gopherfan149

He was on the team when the incident happened, that's what people are commenting on. Valley did the right thing when dealing with it, but the fact is, he is not the victim here. Kudo's to AV for trying to help the kid out, but also shame on them if they had any idea this could happen.
If we have to remove ANY kid we "think" could possibly do something like this some day, we'd all probably have some holes in our line ups!

AV did the right thing before and after the incident. Kudos to them.
Rock it, Dig On?!?
Online Profile Goto Top

Glimmers Town
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Bog Man
Feb 16 2011, 08:08 AM
Glimmers Town
gopherfan149
Caleb Williams
gopherfan149

If we have to remove ANY kid we "think" could possibly do something like this some day, we'd all probably have some holes in our line ups!

The impression I got from what the coach wrote was that he "needed" to be in wrestling. This wasn't the first incident. AV did the right thing after...agreed. The main point I was trying to make that seems to not be mentioned is that this 19 year old man was NOT the victim. The 16 year old that was the brunt of his anger was. We should not be making excuses for him or anyone. Everyone is accountable for themselves and I hope he's working towards helping himself.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lilmatdog
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Glimmers Town
Feb 16 2011, 08:28 AM
The impression I got from what the coach wrote was that he "needed" to be in wrestling. This wasn't the first incident. AV did the right thing after...agreed. The main point I was trying to make that seems to not be mentioned is that this 19 year old man was NOT the victim. The 16 year old that was the brunt of his anger was. We should not be making excuses for him or anyone. Everyone is accountable for themselves and I hope he's working towards helping himself.
The line the coach would not cross however one of the papers did was the fact there is a special needs boy inside of a 19 year old body. If you think everyone is created with equal cognizant abilities and the ability to apply such awareness, I think their is an entire field that would disagree with you. I also have the expectations that everyone needs to be accountable for their actions, the difference is I am aware that when I preach that I am preaching so based as a normal expectation for normal people. Yes, some students do "Need" to be part of things and hopefully the people working with Herold will find another outlet which in the end is a better fit.
MOTTO'S
On Debate Be careful of your thoughts; they may brcome words at any moment
On Finance It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere
On Self-worth I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect
On Philosophy I'm in my own little world. But it's OK, they all know me here
On Politics I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen to many of them get elected.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Greco King
Member Avatar
Raslin Royalty
[ *  *  *  * ]
Actions have happened, actions have been taken and yammering on about will not change the actions. Can someone check to see if the horse is still breathing. I think it's dead.
Posted Image
Edited by Greco King, Feb 16 2011, 09:21 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Wildcats77
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
Glimmers Town
Feb 16 2011, 08:28 AM
The Bog Man
Feb 16 2011, 08:08 AM
Glimmers Town
gopherfan149
Caleb Williams
gopherfan149

Nobody is making excuses for him. People are just stating some reasons as to why this could have happened due to his personal issues. Shame on you for even thinking the AV coaches would let him wrestle if they thought this could happen. If anything, he seemed to be on a path to controlling his behavior this season. Many of us were very pleased to see what we thought were changes for the better. Nobody saw this coming. Nobdy at AV is irresponsible enough to take chances like that.
Offline Profile Goto Top

goTigersgo
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Greco King
Feb 16 2011, 09:08 AM
Actions have happened, actions have been taken and yammering on about will not change the actions. Can someone check to see if the horse is still breathing. I think it's dead.
Posted Image
http://www.theguillotine.com/images/dead-horse.gif
Things are not what they seem, nor are they otherwise.

Mongo only pawn... in game of life.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · High School · Next Topic »
Locked Topic
  • Pages: