Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Guillotine Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting messages, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, and fewer ads.

Email forum@theguillotine.com to find out how to get an account.

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Dream Team All Star Classic in IA; AllStar Classic
Topic Started: Apr 12 2012, 11:45 AM (5,697 Views)
Wildmallardcat
No Avatar
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On April 20th, the day before the Olympic Trials a great HS wrestling match will take place. Good luck to the MN boys wrestling in this. Would be fun to watch it live.

Some slight changes to the original line-up, most notably 112 #1 Brooks from Indiana dropping out.

113 #3 Phillip Laux ? Iowa City West vs #6 Gunnar Woodburn ? Claremore, OK

120 #5 Dylan Peters ? Denver-Tripoli vs #1 George DiCamillo ? St. Ignatius, OH

126 #3 Cory Clark ? Southeast Polk vs #1 Jimmy Gulibon ? Derry, PA

132 #9 Dakota Bauer ? Iowa City West vs #3 Mark Grey ? Blair Academy, NJ

138 Logan Mulnix North Linn ? #2 Nate Skonieczny ? Walsh Jesuit, OH

145 #2 Gabriel Moreno ? Urbandale vs #1 Jason Tsirtsis ? Crown Point, IN

152 #6 Zach Witte ? Cedar Rapids Prairie vs # 1 Brian Realbuto ? Somers, NY

160 #12 Justin Koethe ? Iowa City West vs # 2 Zac Brunson ? Winston Churhill, OR

170 #6 Alex Meyer ? Southeast Polk vs # 7 Zach Nevills ? Clovis, CA

182 #11 Jared Bartel ? Mason City vs # 1 Jordan Rogers ? Mead, WA

195 Tarin Phillips ? Valley West Des Moines vs # 1 Devin Peterson ? Wisconsin Rapids, WI

220 #1 Willie Miklus ? Southeast Polk vs # 2 (285) Michael Kroells ? Scott West, MN

285 Collin Bevins ? Creston OM vs # 4 Austin Goergen ? Caledonia, MN
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CalWarriorFan
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wildmallardcat
Apr 12 2012, 11:45 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On April 20th, the day before the Olympic Trials a great HS wrestling match will take place. Good luck to the MN boys wrestling in this. Would be fun to watch it live.

Some slight changes to the original line-up, most notably 112 #1 Brooks from Indiana dropping out.

113 #3 Phillip Laux ? Iowa City West vs #6 Gunnar Woodburn ? Claremore, OK

120 #5 Dylan Peters ? Denver-Tripoli vs #1 George DiCamillo ? St. Ignatius, OH

126 #3 Cory Clark ? Southeast Polk vs #1 Jimmy Gulibon ? Derry, PA

132 #9 Dakota Bauer ? Iowa City West vs #3 Mark Grey ? Blair Academy, NJ

138 Logan Mulnix North Linn ? #2 Nate Skonieczny ? Walsh Jesuit, OH

145 #2 Gabriel Moreno ? Urbandale vs #1 Jason Tsirtsis ? Crown Point, IN

152 #6 Zach Witte ? Cedar Rapids Prairie vs # 1 Brian Realbuto ? Somers, NY

160 #12 Justin Koethe ? Iowa City West vs # 2 Zac Brunson ? Winston Churhill, OR

170 #6 Alex Meyer ? Southeast Polk vs # 7 Zach Nevills ? Clovis, CA

182 #11 Jared Bartel ? Mason City vs # 1 Jordan Rogers ? Mead, WA

195 Tarin Phillips ? Valley West Des Moines vs # 1 Devin Peterson ? Wisconsin Rapids, WI

220 #1 Willie Miklus ? Southeast Polk vs # 2 (285) Michael Kroells ? Scott West, MN

285 Collin Bevins ? Creston OM vs # 4 Austin Goergen ? Caledonia, MN
You should read the IA boards and how they are going back and forth about John Meeks not wrestling for his home state as the #1 wrestler at 138.

Supposedly not wrestling it due to the 6 lb allowance given, says the #2 guy will come in weighing 152 by the time they wrestle. The thing about this excuse I don't get is, this is an exhibition and just for fun, what does Meeks truly have to lose? A national ranking? Does it matter at this point, he is going to ISU probably on a full ride. I guess I don't get this one.

Wildmallardcat
No Avatar
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah, that board is pretty entertaining. Not sure if this matters but the kid from OH he would wrestle at the meet is a Hawkeye recruit, so he might be ducking him at this point.

liv
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My son wrestled Meeks at 132 in mid to late January. I noticed before the match that Meeks was rated #1 at 138. I assumed that Meeks was testing the waters at cutting. It was apparent that this kid always stayed in shape and probably didn't cut much at all (if any) 138. I thought Meeks would stay at 32; as he appeared small enough to stay there. Meeks will be a 33lbr in college.

I don't know why the IA coaches simply pencil him in at 32. Meeks is probably still working hard and is possibly weighing under 40. My guess is they committed the IC West kid and now have a dilemma.

Meeks isn't a big cutter. He is built pretty efficient , as is. I believe him when he states that he'd be giving up quite a bit of weight. He's probably the best guy at 138 though yet. Tough spot for him to be in.

CalWarriorFan
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
liv
Apr 14 2012, 06:13 AM
My son wrestled Meeks at 132 in mid to late January. I noticed before the match that Meeks was rated #1 at 138. I assumed that Meeks was testing the waters at cutting. It was apparent that this kid always stayed in shape and probably didn't cut much at all (if any) 138. I thought Meeks would stay at 32; as he appeared small enough to stay there. Meeks will be a 33lbr in college.

I don't know why the IA coaches simply pencil him in at 32. Meeks is probably still working hard and is possibly weighing under 40. My guess is they committed the IC West kid and now have a dilemma.

Meeks isn't a big cutter. He is built pretty efficient , as is. I believe him when he states that he'd be giving up quite a bit of weight. He's probably the best guy at 138 though yet. Tough spot for him to be in.

I still don't understand what Meeks has to lose in wrestling an exhibition? It is not going to hurt him to lose, is it?

KodiakCoach
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CalWarriorFan
Apr 14 2012, 08:45 AM
liv

I still don't understand what Meeks has to lose in wrestling an exhibition? It is not going to hurt him to lose, is it?
Guaranteed that once the match starts - it won't be an exhibition! If #1 Meeks is a small 138lb planning wrestling 133 in college he would be undersized (and at risk of injury) wrestling a large #2 ranked 138lb who could be planning on wrestling large weights in college. The ranking is based on competition at that weight class - not the next weight class up. Meeks would have nothing to gain wrestling an oversized opponent and everything to lose. I am sure this decision wasn't entirely his, but with consultation with his HS and college coach.

goTigersgo
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nothing to gain, but his pride to maintain.

CalWarriorFan
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
goTigersgo
Apr 14 2012, 03:23 PM
Nothing to gain, but his pride to maintain.
I agree, he has nothing to gain or lose thought in this situation, but pride would be lost in my opinion. You are the top ranked wrestler in the nation and for the state of IA and you won't represent your state. I think if MN had this chance and the #1 nationally ranked boy wouldn't wrestle, we would be questioning the logic.

Calvsdad
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Is this going to be available to see online?

goTigersgo
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes: wrestlingvideosolutions.com/dream-team-classic

Elwood
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
There is possibly, one of the very best matches in High School wrestling all season taking place this Friday Night in Ia City.

#1 ranked Willie Miklus is taking on #2 Michael Kroells. This one has all the makings of a classic. I watched both last weekend in Madison (Fila's) and they should put on a great show.

I'm pulling for "GoTigersGo" son in this one.

OHSindian82
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Elwood
Apr 17 2012, 03:38 PM

I'm pulling for "GoTigersGo" son in this one.
Elwood, That makes two of us, and probably many more. Go get em' Michael!

goTigersgo
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Miklus placed second at 119 as freshman, second at 145 as a sophomore, first at 171 his junior year, and first at 220 his senior year. He moves as well as MK and is every bit as active. Its gonna be fun to watch.

CougarKILLA
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
KodiakCoach
Apr 14 2012, 03:17 PM
CalWarriorFan
liv

Guaranteed that once the match starts - it won't be an exhibition! If #1 Meeks is a small 138lb planning wrestling 133 in college he would be undersized (and at risk of injury) wrestling a large #2 ranked 138lb who could be planning on wrestling large weights in college. The ranking is based on competition at that weight class - not the next weight class up. Meeks would have nothing to gain wrestling an oversized opponent and everything to lose. I am sure this decision wasn't entirely his, but with consultation with his HS and college coach.
Zack Sanders wrestled the Dapper Dan against Troy Dollan (from Derry, Pa) and got beat big time. Troy was huge and just out muscled him but look what happen to both wrestlers college Career one is a 4x AA one is not, they both wrestled at 125 in college!

CalWarriorFan
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CougarKILLA
Apr 18 2012, 06:37 PM
KodiakCoach
Apr 14 2012, 03:17 PM
CalWarriorFan
liv

Zack Sanders wrestled the Dapper Dan against Troy Dollan (from Derry, Pa) and got beat big time. Troy was huge and just out muscled him but look what happen to both wrestlers college Career one is a 4x AA one is not, they both wrestled at 125 in college!
Good point! Zach probably knew what he was going to run into and he didn't have anything to lose. I know it was talked about for a long period that Sanders was overrated and obviously that was not the case!

Roverman
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Didn't McCauley run into the same situation. He was cutting to 149 for a free style tournament and wrestled a PA kid in the Dapper Dan that weighed close to 160 with the allowance. Got beat by about 4 points or so. Don't remember the guy's name but it would be interesting to follow both careers. My money is on McCauley.
Edited by Roverman, Apr 19 2012, 09:41 AM.

Iowan@heart
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Roverman
Apr 19 2012, 09:40 AM
Didn't McCauley run into the same situation. He was cutting to 149 for a free style tournament and wrestled a PA kid in the Dapper Dan that weighed close to 160 with the allowance. Got beat by about 4 points or so. Don't remember the guy's name but it would be interesting to follow both careers. My money is on McCauley.
Mike Ottinger went 24-10 at 165 at Central Michigan this year. Cody Yohn beat him in the dual with the Gophers. I think that's who you are thinking of..

Edited by Iowan@heart, Apr 19 2012, 10:08 AM.

Elwood
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
My NCAA's tickets were in the MSU section, and I sat next to the Ottingers on day one. Mike went 0-2. He is a great guy, and I had the chance to talk with him. He said beating McCauley was one of his career highlights, but he admitted they were not close in size at the Dapper Dan. Never the less, not many can say they went six minutes with Destin McCauley and got their arm raised.

Iowan@heart
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Elwood
Apr 19 2012, 10:29 AM
My NCAA's tickets were in the MSU section, and I sat next to the Ottingers on day one. Mike went 0-2. He is a great guy, and I had the chance to talk with him. He said beating McCauley was one of his career highlights, but he admitted they were not close in size at the Dapper Dan. Never the less, not many can say they went six minutes with Destin McCauley and got their arm raised.
That's what is so cool about wrestling. Start any topic about any wrestler and eventually someone will say "yeah, I met him & his family and he's a great guy"... I bet this doesn't happen in hockey...

Jeep'n
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Good luck to Austin and Michael...

Give them hell boys!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Brace Yourself
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Elwood
Apr 19 2012, 10:29 AM
I still don't agree with the comment that Ottinger made after beating McCauley " I guess a one time state champ in PA is equal to a 5 time state champ in MN" after he beat a kid that was significantly smaller than him.

Iowan@heart
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Introductions are done.. order has been rearranged a bit..

Iowan@heart
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://wrestlingvideosolutions.com/dream-team-classic/

CalWarriorFan
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Did the two MN boys already wrestle? I just picked it up here at 8:12 and 132 is wrestling.

sweetness
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
mn guys haven't wrestled yet

CalWarriorFan
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sweetness
Apr 20 2012, 07:21 PM
mn guys haven't wrestled yet
Nice I can still catch them!

did they start at 113?

MNWIFAN
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
So far: 113, 138, 182, 170, 152, 132, now at intermision. Coverage on Trackwrestling too.

Jeep'n
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What a bummer 220 ended in Inj. Default...

You could tell Kroells did not like winning that way. It was stacking up to be a great match.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Thethrill
Member Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
How was the match playing out at the time of the injury default?

Iowan@heart
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thethrill
Apr 21 2012, 12:24 AM
How was the match playing out at the time of the injury default?
All the matches are on Flowrestling. Kroells was behind by at least 2 pts at the time of the injury default. Goergen lost a great match to the Iowa kid Bevin (sp?)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · High School · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: