Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Guillotine Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Apple Valley wrestling coach Jim Jackson retires
Topic Started: May 1 2012, 12:55 PM (4,614 Views)
guillotine1
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Apple Valley wrestling coach Jim Jackson retires

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20522500/apple-valley-wrestling-coach-jim-jackson-retires

By Tim Leighton

Apple Valley's Jim Jackson, the most successful coach in Minnesota high school wrestling history, retired from coaching Tuesday, May 1.

"It's just time,'' Jackson told the Pioneer Press.

Jackson, 55, is stepping down to spend more time with his wife, June, and 12-year-old daughter, Taylor, a tennis player.

"I want to be a full-time dad and give my wife and daughter the time they deserve,'' he said. "It is tough walking away, but the program is in good shape. I feel good about what we've done.''

Jackson leaves a wrestling legacy that likely won't be duplicated.

An Apple Valley assistant coach for 15 seasons before taking the head coaching job in 1995, Jackson guided the Eagles to a 619-26-3 record. His .958 winning percentage is the best in Minnesota prep wrestling history. The Iowa native has led Apple Valley to 11 of the past 12 big-school state championships.

Apple Valley also won consecutive national championships in 2010 and '11. This past season, the Eagles finished No. 3 in the final national rankings.

Under Jackson, 169 Apple Valley wrestlers qualified for the state tournament. Fifty-six became state champions, and 131 placed in the top six.

"I have been very fortunate to work with great coaching staffs and great kids over the years,'' Jackson said. "The memories of working hard and achieving success will be with me forever.''

Jackson said he will continue to teach physical education at Falcon Ridge Middle School in Apple Valley.

He reiterated he is not interested in coaching at any other level.
Apple Valley activities director Pete Buesgens called it a "sad day'' when Jackson announced he was retiring from coaching.

"Jim Jackson is one of the true legends of coaching in Minnesota,'' Buesgens said. "He took a state powerhouse, built by Bill Demaray, and put it on the national scene. In a business that is focused on relationships, Jim went out of his way to make every member of the Apple Valley High School wrestling program feel important.

"He never once cut an athlete from the program and welcomed every kid, regardless of skill level. He is a true ambassador of the sport, and he will be missed on the coaching staff of Apple Valley High School. However, I have a feeling that he won't be too far away from the wrestling room.''

Buesgens said he will be accepting applications for Jackson's replacement until May 25.

It's a great time to be a Minnesota Wrestling Fan.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dbfan
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Shocking. Think they'll stay in house with the hire?

lilmatdog
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for posting this G1, I had just read it in the papers.

Congratulations to Coach Jackson and best of luck with your future endeavors.
MOTTO'S
On Debate Be careful of your thoughts; they may brcome words at any moment
On Finance It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere
On Self-worth I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect
On Philosophy I'm in my own little world. But it's OK, they all know me here
On Politics I don't approve of political jokes, I've seen to many of them get elected.

subsailor
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
Jim you will need to come and sit in the stands with us old guys. We can smile and enjoy the quality program before us. I know you have always struggled with having time for the family, now you can relax and enjoy. Best always... Gary

P.S. "now you have to play in the golf tourney"

Bluntman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats on a great career coach!

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Jim you helped bring Minnesota wrestling to another level! Plenty of great Candidates already in house, my guess is one of them takes over.
Guillotine Forum Bully April 4, 2014-Present

Iowan@heart
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Congratulations on an outstanding career coach Jackson.
Wrestling is more than a sport, it's a family.

Disclaimer: Nothing I say should be considered to be the view of any wrestling, professional, or fraternal organizion. They are just my personal opinions or observations.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

OldHawk
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks Jim for your outstanding work with the Valley wrestling program over these many years and congratulations on your thoughtful decision to devote more time to your family. I've enjoyed and appreciated your friendship and expect to continue those contacts come wrestling season. Dick T.

AAA Ratings Editor
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Congratulations Coach Jackson.

Thanks for your help over the years. Whenever I sent out a request for information, I always knew yours would be one of the first three responses I'd get. I appreciated that.

John
Twitter: @JohnNalan

Feel free to contact me with any results or information. I can be reached at

3aratings@theguillotine.com

WrestleMe
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Congrats Jim. You were always willing to share ideas - even with an opposing coach. For that you have my gratitude & appreciation.

Enjoy your family.
Danny Zilverberg's Most Handsome Fan !

Member Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
This is a tremendous loss for Minnesota wrestling. Coach Jackson was always a class act. Thank you Mr. Jackson!

cwillaert
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Let's use the old saying that all your mommy's told you...if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Congratulations to Coach Jackson on an amazing run and the best of luck to you in all future endeavors.
My son knows there are no monsters living under his bed but he has seen the one that lives on a maroon wrestling mat...the HalfNess Monster.

sricard
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
Thanks, Jim, for helping to raise the level of wrestling both in MN and nationally. You are a class act. Enjoy your family.

Steve Ricard

OHSindian82
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jim Jackson retiring is a shock, but family is important!!! Mr. Jackson always greeted my sons and I at every event we ever saw him at going way back, and when it was just myself, Jim would always ask how my sons were doing on and off the mat. A true ambassador to the sport, and will be missed more than most people want to admit. Just remember Coach, you had/have a lot of support out here, it is the boo-birds that make the most noise! Enjoy your retirement from coaching, and thanks for everything you have done for the sport. Jeff "woody" Woodrich
HEAVYWEIGHTS RULE!!!, and little guys too!!!

Wildmallardcat
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
Congrats on a great career and good luck in your future plans.

eskane
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
A long time ago Jim and I did not always see eye to eye....but then I was on the whistle, and he was in the corner. We soon both realized that neither one of us were ever going to go away.
Jim over the years has helped Mn/USA wrestling a huge amount. Apple Valley was a place where National Teams came together (THE STORM) for a lot of years because Jim understood that by helping the STORM team get better... he made his team better. Jim also is one of the great motivators in the wrestling world he was a corner coach without equal. He knew from the get-go that "Mat-time' was where it was at. More Mat-time produces more wins and great wrestlers no matter what the style it was......... And he is a great friend.

Ed Kane

inmydreams
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This is almost certainly a career that will never be duplicated. all the best to coach jackson.
Happiness is just a flaming moe away...

"He not busy being born is busy dying"
-Bob Dylan

"You're gross all over"
-My mom

5 Point Buck
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the great memories Jim. Hope to see you in the stands.

thegambler
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
dbfan
May 1 2012, 01:02 PM
Shocking. Think they'll stay in house with the hire?
Apple Valley would be stupid to hire outside the organization.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · High School · Next Topic »
Add Reply