Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Guillotine Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
  • Pages:
Nate Baker
Topic Started: May 26 2012, 03:48 PM (6,595 Views)
ND130
[ * ]
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/362012/group/Sports/

This is too bad Great wrestler.
Offline Profile Goto Top

viking123
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sounds like someone needs some serious help. He needs some time to think about his decisions, because apparently he has not learned his lesson from the first couple of times.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LIVEWELL
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yep "great wrestler" really doesn't mean squat if he happens to kill one of your loved ones while driving around 2x the legal limit......again.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt Ramsey
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I hope he loses his coaching job, according to the article this is his 4th dui/dwi arrest. 3x in 2 years while he was competing and now as a coach. I am sure there are many other guys who would die for the chance to coach college wrestling for a job. I am a huge Nate Baker fan as an athlete but its just too bad a guy over the age of 30 is still regularly closing the bars.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ambervalley
Member Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Matt Ramsey
May 27 2012, 04:53 PM
I hope he loses his coaching job, according to the article this is his 4th dui/dwi arrest. 3x in 2 years while he was competing and now as a coach. I am sure there are many other guys who would die for the chance to coach college wrestling for a job. I am a huge Nate Baker fan as an athlete but its just too bad a guy over the age of 30 is still regularly closing the bars.
How is losing one's job going to help them overcome their personal demons?

Nate is a part-time employee at the University, so he is a bartender to make ends meet. Probably not the best job in this case, but that's why he is at the bar. He works there and closes up the place.

Nate is a wonderful person and coach. He coaches community youth as well. We would hate to lose him. He is a great asset. The local wrestling community in Fargo-Moorhead support him. We wish him the best in fighting this personal issue.

Offline Profile Goto Top

gopherfan149
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I would say "wonderful people" don't drink and drive. Wonderful means more to me at least than multiple time DUI offender.
Losing his job may help him or it may not. Probably wouldn't. Hard to coach from jail.
Sorry I have no time for people who drink and drive.

This is the year. Go for it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

tommyh
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
ambervalley
May 27 2012, 06:54 PM
Matt Ramsey

Nate is a part-time employee at the University, so he is a bartender to make ends meet. Probably not the best job in this case, but that's why he is at the bar. He works there and closes up the place.

Nate is a wonderful person and coach. He coaches community youth as well. We would hate to lose him. He is a great asset. The local wrestling community in Fargo-Moorhead support him. We wish him the best in fighting this personal issue.

hard for me to support a multiple time dui/dwi offender. one of my best friends was killed by a drunk driver and it is hard to support a person who would make himself and his vehicle a driving time bomb. making excuses for him "he works in the bar, that is why he closes the place up" is not something that is going to help him. i know, have known plenty of bartenders that drive home completely sober at night after work. i believe nate needs to do some time and then HE needs to put himself into a rehab program of some type. he is lucky so far that he has not hurt, or worse killed an innocent person on the road yet.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt Ramsey
Member Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I for one will confess I am no angel, I drank and drove some when I was 18-20 when I was a hardcore partyer. I never was caught and realistically I should of been at times. Bottom line for me is that I looked at myself in the mirror and saw a not so in shape drunk on the inside that not alot of people realized had an issue. I slowly got myself out of that lifestyle and by the age of 21 drinking was not even cool. I no longer drink and learned my lesson from "close calls". I can not imagine someone not learning a lesson from a DWI let alone 4. That goes to show that the penalty is not enough. 90 days in jail for 1st time offenders would really make people think twice about breaking the law.
Offline Profile Goto Top

skiptoops
Member Avatar
SPUD Fan
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nate Baker is a good guy. Good guys don't always make good decisions. I'm not going to justify it, rationalize it or anything else. I am 100% against drunk driving & I am 100% for whatever punishment would effectively curb that action. But just know that Nate Baker is a good guy.
http://www.ballcharts.com/teams/stats.php?team=CrookstonReds

Beware: This is posted by the biggest MSU-Moorhead Dragons Homer in the world!
Beware: This is posted by the biggest New London-Spicer Wildcats Homer in the world!
Beware: This is posted by the biggest Crookston Pirates Homer in the world!
Beware: This is posted by the biggest Moorhead Spuds Homer in the world!
Offline Profile Goto Top

TechTeam
Member Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
We wish Nate the best in this time of recovery.

Offline Profile Goto Top

dadfinger
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Nate is a good person I'm sure, this one is always a tough one. I try and go back to my Navy days and look at how we often dealt with situations and "the punishment should fit the crime" comes to thought. We always tried to put the punishment in relation to the rule that was broken. An example would be that if you were late for work, you would have to come in early and do role call (muster) or stay later (much later). If you got into a fight, anger management. Money was almost always a commom denominator too for punishment. The purpose of the punishment was supposed to be directed at helping the individual get back onto the right track, not to hurt them further and dig the hole deeper. If someone was having financial difficulties and bounced some checks, the punishment would certainly not be to receive fines which would only compound the problem. As I was retiring from the Navy, if a person had two (2) alcohol related incidents, they could be discharged from the service. The incidents need not be severe and discretion was being used as circumstances were often different in each case. We lost several "good" people in the Navy due to alcohol and getting into trouble by drinking too much and or making poor decisions. At some point even the govenment had to cut their losses and understand that the liabilities are too great. The hard part is too find punishment that can help the person to stop committing the offense. I wish Nate the best and hope all works out for him and his family including the wrestling family (that is you if you are reading this :). I am not in a position to judge Nate, are any of us? Sweep your own porch before you sweep his. I tried to quit smoking many, many times before I finally found success, perhaps he will find success with this opponent given proper punishment and support. I hope he doesn't give up and continues to fight until he wins.
Offline Profile Goto Top

turkeyroller
[ *  * ]
Whats up with MSUM. They were a pretty good team a few years ago, 5th in national duals with a pretty good overall dual meet record. Now they Hardly win a dual meet ever. The two guys they brought to natinals are recruits left over from the old staff. Their top ranked guys friends show up at nationals with a fan club shirt proclaming him national champion wiht the box unchecked only to have him not even place. Now their 30 year old assistant coach who has not earned a college degree faces his 3rd DUI. Not sure i would send my kid into this program at this point.
Offline Profile Goto Top

WrestleMe
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
turkeyroller
May 29 2012, 01:13 PM
Whats up with MSUM. They were a pretty good team a few years ago, 5th in national duals with a pretty good overall dual meet record. Now they Hardly win a dual meet ever. The two guys they brought to natinals are recruits left over from the old staff. Their top ranked guys friends show up at nationals with a fan club shirt proclaming him national champion wiht the box unchecked only to have him not even place. Now their 30 year old assistant coach who has not earned a college degree faces his 3rd DUI. Not sure i would send my kid into this program at this point.
I'm curious as to exactly what you were hoping to accomplish with this post.

Care to elaborate?
Danny Zilverberg's Most Handsome Fan !
Offline Profile Goto Top

turkeyroller
[ *  * ]
I was just noting that their program seems to be going to hell and it is not the type of place I would want to send my son now. I wonder how much lower they will have to fall before they drop wrestling and add Division 1 Hockey which there has been quite a push for in a Hockey town.
Offline Profile Goto Top

CRalum130
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
turkeyroller
May 29 2012, 02:36 PM
I was just noting that their program seems to be going to hell and it is not the type of place I would want to send my son now. I wonder how much lower they will have to fall before they drop wrestling and add Division 1 Hockey which there has been quite a push for in a Hockey town.
MSUM is still working with a fairly new coaching staff, Nelson has only been there since 2009. Things are going to take a little time.

In addition, they have fierce competition from the only Div I program in the area, and a top 10 Div III program. Not to mention that North Dakota doesn't have near the depth that Minnesota does and most city boys from Minnesota that are going to head up to the Fargo/Moorhead area are looking for an established program.

Like I said it's going to take time. Two national qualifiers in his 3 years of coaching is a solid start. He'll need to be more successful if he wants to compete for recruits in future but I think it will happen.

As far as Baker goes, he needs help. Hopefully he'll get whats needed and can overcome this. He's a great asset for the wrestling program but I can't see the administration keeping him on. Nelson's going to have his work cut out for him finding someone to replace a coach of his caliber.
Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
Offline Profile Goto Top

turkeyroller
[ *  * ]
The cupboard wasnt exactly left dry. As mentioned earlier the guys who have been showing success have been from the old staff. 2 national qualifiers in 3 years is nothing to crow about. I would say three seasons is ample time to start showing some positive movement for a coach and I would say things have been going downhill ever since the new head coach has taken over. Baker was part of the old staff too so things should have been a bit more seamless in terms of transition. I dont think NDSU and MSUM compete for the same recruits and Concordia who used to be MSUMs doormat is simply outrecruiting and coaching the Dragons at this point.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Northwest
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
ambervalley
May 27 2012, 06:54 PM
Matt Ramsey

Offline Profile Goto Top

Northwest
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
3 DUI's and coaching youth wrestling, I thought that type of thing would appear on the mandatory background check. Yes, it is a personal issue and he needs all the support he can get, however, this type of thing is a blackeye for the sport of wrestling and it is not the first time MSUM has had people on staff with alcohol issues.
Offline Profile Goto Top

turkeyroller
[ *  * ]
Northwest
May 29 2012, 03:54 PM
3 DUI's and coaching youth wrestling, I thought that type of thing would appear on the mandatory background check. Yes, it is a personal issue and he needs all the support he can get, however, this type of thing is a blackeye for the sport of wrestling and it is not the first time MSUM has had people on staff with alcohol issues.
Are there other coaches who wore red that were arrested for DUI? I am aware of recent Green and Yellow coaches but not aware of history on the east side of the red river.
Offline Profile Goto Top

backhoebob
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
I agree drinking and driving is not a good thing. I hope Nate gets some help and would like to see him get another chance somewhere. I think Kris Nelson is a top of the line coach and that MSUM would be a great place to go wrestle. When Nelson was at NDSU he was pretty much running the practices so I for one would not hesitate to send my kid there. People make bad choices in life it doesn't mean you run the whole program under the bus. I am sure that he isn't the only college coach that has had a drink, he just needs to learn how to call a cab or catch a ride. I think it is very unfair to downgrade the program.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Northwest
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
turkeyroller,

The answer is yes.
Offline Profile Goto Top

turkeyroller
[ *  * ]
backhoebob
May 29 2012, 04:49 PM
I agree drinking and driving is not a good thing. I hope Nate gets some help and would like to see him get another chance somewhere. I think Kris Nelson is a top of the line coach and that MSUM would be a great place to go wrestle. When Nelson was at NDSU he was pretty much running the practices so I for one would not hesitate to send my kid there. People make bad choices in life it doesn't mean you run the whole program under the bus. I am sure that he isn't the only college coach that has had a drink, he just needs to learn how to call a cab or catch a ride. I think it is very unfair to downgrade the program.
Im no insider just a long time observer of small and big college wrestling in these parts. Not saying i think this is a bad program to send a kid to because of one coach. I am just basing my speculations that this team has been on a downward spiral as of late on the real time results as of late.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jammen
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
turkeyroller
May 29 2012, 03:33 PM
I would say three seasons is ample time to start showing some positive movement for a coach and I would say things have been going downhill ever since the new head coach has taken over.
J Rob was 66-53 for his first six seasons. Sounds like you'd have fired him after three.
tax the churches
Offline Profile Goto Top

Northwest
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
turkeyroller
May 29 2012, 02:36 PM
Offline Profile Goto Top

Northwest
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
MSUM wants D1 hockey badly and both the President and the AD are on record in support of it. Their last fundraising effort fell short but, it is not over yet. They see all the dollars and excitement coming into UND and they want a part of the action. NDSU will not even consider hockey and Concordia is D3. The FM area now has a population of around 200,000 and they could probably support D1 hockey and that would be the end of wrestling at MSUM. UND hockey killed UND wrestling and UMD hockey killed UMD wrestling. This is the last thing MSUM wrestling needed and it will hurt them in fundraising and recruiting. Bemidji has hockey and no wrestling as well.
Offline Profile Goto Top

skiptoops
Member Avatar
SPUD Fan
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Northwest
May 29 2012, 10:07 PM
MSUM wants D1 hockey badly and both the President and the AD are on record in support of it. Their last fundraising effort fell short but, it is not over yet. They see all the dollars and excitement coming into UND and they want a part of the action. NDSU will not even consider hockey and Concordia is D3. The FM area now has a population of around 200,000 and they could probably support D1 hockey and that would be the end of wrestling at MSUM. UND hockey killed UND wrestling and UMD hockey killed UMD wrestling. This is the last thing MSUM wrestling needed and it will hurt them in fundraising and recruiting. Bemidji has hockey and no wrestling as well.
I personally think D1 Hockey at MSUM would bring down their entire athletic program. Other than basketball no program is adequately funded. They would pump millions of dollars into a hockey program that would play in West Fargo & be the 6th best team in the state of MN.

Mankato has hockey & their wrestling does fine. So hockey wouldn't necessarily be the down fall of wrestling.
http://www.ballcharts.com/teams/stats.php?team=CrookstonReds

Beware: This is posted by the biggest MSU-Moorhead Dragons Homer in the world!
Beware: This is posted by the biggest New London-Spicer Wildcats Homer in the world!
Beware: This is posted by the biggest Crookston Pirates Homer in the world!
Beware: This is posted by the biggest Moorhead Spuds Homer in the world!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cradleking
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
gopherfan149
May 27 2012, 06:59 PM
I would say "wonderful people" don't drink and drive. Wonderful means more to me at least than multiple time DUI offender.
Losing his job may help him or it may not. Probably wouldn't. Hard to coach from jail.
1 in 7 Minnesotans have a DUI offense. I guess there are alot of people you have no time for.
Everyones entitled to an opinion, its just mine is always right. :D

"Save a horse, pin a Cowboy."
Offline Profile Goto Top

goldengopher
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Cradleking
May 29 2012, 11:13 PM
gopherfan149
1 in 7 Minnesotans have a DUI offense. I guess there are alot of people you have no time for.
I call BS.

Steven Janowski reminds of that dingleberry I just can't get out of my butt hairs.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Northwest
Wrestling Fan
[ *  *  * ]
skiptoops
May 29 2012, 10:59 PM
Northwest
May 29 2012, 10:07 PM
I personally think D1 Hockey at MSUM would bring down their entire athletic program. Other than basketball no program is adequately funded. They would pump millions of dollars into a hockey program that would play in West Fargo & be the 6th best team in the state of MN.

Mankato has hockey & their wrestling does fine. So hockey wouldn't necessarily be the down fall of wrestling.
Offline Profile Goto Top

centralhawk
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cradleking
May 29 2012, 11:13 PM
gopherfan149
Kinda skews the statistics when one idiot gets 4.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · College · Next Topic »
Locked Topic
  • Pages: