Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Guillotine Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting messages, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, and fewer ads.

Email forum@theguillotine.com to find out how to get an account.

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Ron Gardenhire; fired as Manager today
Topic Started: Sep 29 2014, 12:02 PM (2,084 Views)
dj63
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
We can say forever that Gardy failed in the post season and gets the credit when he won those titles. Its all true, but to say he isn't a good manager is way off. I think he got all he could out of what he had. He won those titles in a week division and lost to much better teams in the playoffs. Were we ever favored in any of those playoffs, I don't think so.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
3girlsanddad
Sep 30 2014, 10:49 PM
izzman
Sep 30 2014, 06:11 AM
It was time for Gardy to go however this teams poor performance has nothing to do with him or his staff or even the GM. It has to do with an ownership that continually operate at a bargain basement self imposed salary cap and trade away all of their talent that will garner or soon garner more money than they are willing to spend. I mean in the past 10 years take a look at what they have done to this team:

Johann Santana - traded away for next to nothing and the one commodity they got back in Gomez was traded to the Brewers.
Justin Morneau - traded away for nothing and wins the NL batting title this year
Span and Revere - both were close to the tops in hits in the NL with 185+ and both had 80+ stolen bases in 2014 (the entire Twins roster had 99). We got next to nothing for them.
Joe Nathan - let go for nothing because his salary was going to be too high - bad year this year but was an all star the year after he left.

Meanwhile the Pohlads who are the richest owners in MLB paid $0 for the new stadium after they sold the naming rights to Target have went back against their promise to open their wallets after getting this new stadium. They also purchased all of the parking and warehouse space around the stadium as it was being built which is a cute little ancilarry prize that is netting them millions every year.

The issue is a corrupt and cheap ownership that will not give any manager what they need to succeed. I have brought up hiring Ozzie Guillen for a long time because I know he wouldn't be afraid to call the ownership out. That is exactly why he won't ever be considered for the position.

I also think Rick Anderson should have been fired long ago. Gardy was too loyal to him. When I see our poor pitchers do well in other rotations/teams after being with the Twins that's a clear sign that he isn't doing the job. Nice guy or not he needs to make players better.
How do you not blame the staff??

Ortiz below average here, how is he doing in Boston.
Morneau last year here BA .267, two years later, batting champ.
Cuddyer average Twins career, next year batting champ.
Gomez terrible here, now ripping up Milwaukee.
Bartlett 2007 with Twins BA .265, 2009 with Tampa .320

Like you said, Span and Revere.

Want me to keep going?? This list will get very long.

All these player were average or below, the year they left. What do you expect to for these guys??

Your post REALLY just blamed the staff!!!
am I missing something? I said it was time for Gardy to go. I however blame the ownership for the teams demise much more than the manager. Gardy's biggest mistake was staying loyal to the pitching coach and hitting coach and not calling out the Pohlads for being cheap.
Edited by izzman, Oct 4 2014, 04:58 PM.

Equipment Mgr
No Avatar
Super Fan
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tiny- you called that back in September - well done! Now if they can just get some pitching & hitting we will have something fun to watch when there is less wrestling.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: