Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Guillotine Forum. We hope you enjoy your visit.

If you join our community, you'll be able to use many member-only features such as posting messages, customizing your profile, sending personal messages, voting in polls, and fewer ads.

Email forum@theguillotine.com to find out how to get an account.

If you're already a member please log in:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
2015 Vikings Free Agents and Draft; What do they need?
Topic Started: Jan 6 2015, 11:43 AM (7,586 Views)
lilmatdog
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I just don't know what order of importance to address.

I want a runningback, even Denver has figured out that the best QB of our time needs a runningback. Who is in the play offs right now and do they have a runningback? There are two premier runningbacks worth 1st round consideration, do we take one or settle for an okay guy like we got last year?

The left side of our line needs to be addressed, that would help our passing game as well as our running game along with the right side getting healthy.

When a wide out that was cut from another team is our best receiver down the stretch, we need more options. We missed the year of the receiver but we had other needs that we addressed.

I don't see a lot of depth at LB, S, or CB. To take one in the later rounds would be essentially what we have. Go big or stay on the porch and I'm not sure there is anyone to go big for in the draft.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gonzaga1603
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Of the 12 teams in the playoffs this year, how many of them had their number 1 back (most carries) drafted in the first rd?

How many of them have RB's that went undrafted?

Yes, by my own rules, I have to include TRich who led the Colts in carries and was so good that they gave him 0 carries in their playoff game.

RB is not an important position to draft, especially early.

CB, S and LB in that order. IMO

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I actually like Charles Johnson and think he can be a very solid #2 WR. If they can convince Jennings to take a paycut and stay with the team and Patterson develops his craft in the offseason I really don't think there is a first round need at WR. You also have Jarius Wright who is servicable.

I honestly don't think any RB should be drafted in the first two rounds. You refer to Denver's RB and he was undrafted. While I do agree an upgrade is needed, I also think a very decent RB that may not be Gurley or Gordon types can be found in rounds 3 or later. Who knows maybe AP will take a paycut like he should and restructure like they had planned prior to this mess anyway. If he comes back it all but solves the issue.

Where I feel the Vikings need help and depth at is OG/OT and LB. We have good depth at LB but not that top flight talent. Cole and Hodges are great depth and can step in when needed, but I think we need someone that can take over a game like Kuechly and Willis do.

Where we have very little talent/depth is at OL. I like a tweener like La'el Collins from LSU that can play G and LT in case Kalil goes in the toilet again next year. Then another OG/OT type in the mid rounds.

After that any DB. As Zimmer has said he doesn't call them CB's or S's he calls and uses them all as DB's. An upgrade at the other S would help a lot. I like Rhodes and Robinson on the outside and Munnerlyn as a nickle. Both around 25 years old and developing. At the end of the year Rhodes was following every team's best WR and doing well. That's a commodity.

If we can resign AP and Jennings to a cap friendly restructured deal and land Iupati for our LG spot we can really focus on LB, OL and DB depth. Not all that far fetched unless SF decides to franchise Iupati.

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sounds like there will be some pretty good WR's on the market this offseason due to cap issues and contract issues. Two names I have heard already are Fitzgerald and Bowe. Both veterans that could provide a great endzone pressence. Add Patterson and Johnson's speed on the outside and it would be a huge upgrade.

HavingFun
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Offensive line needs help. Best available at any position on the o-line.

Gonzaga1603
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Please no to DBowe

The Horse
Member Avatar
Loyal Old Fart
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fitzgerald would be a great PR tool, and Patterson could learn a lot! B)

HavingFun
No Avatar
Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I like Fitz but his better days might be behind him. Look what bringing minnesota kids back has done for the twins, wolves, wild. All loosers.

true future
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bowe is not good at all. Fitz would be a nice story, but doesn't have much production left.

Foxcatcher
No Avatar
[ * ]
Let AP leave; doesn't have much left in the tank. Show Jennings and charlie Johnson the door. Get greenway to take a pay cut (again) and sign a LG. Use the rest our cap to grab a big physical corner to go opposite Rhodes, Sign Mauluaga since he's a thumper of a MLB and familiar with Zimmer's D. Attempt to get a hometown discount on Fitz, Trade up in the draft and grab Amari Cooper. Then watch Teddy do what he does all the way until he throws a tragic pick6 in the NFC championship to lose the game.

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
AP not much left in the tank? What you basing that on?

Bowe is much better than you think true future and Fitz with a good QB is a top 10 if not top 5 WR in this league still. Look when Palmer was in this year and when he was not in. When he was in Fitz and Floyd both were putting up great #'s and the Cards were the best team in the league. After he got hurt there was litterally no offense. WR's cannot throw themselves the ball.

Whoa Nellie
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Fitzgerald could teach Pattersen a work ethic, which would go along way to improving Pattersen.

Foxcatcher
No Avatar
[ * ]
izzman
Jan 7 2015, 10:34 AM
AP not much left in the tank? What you basing that on?

Bowe is much better than you think true future and Fitz with a good QB is a top 10 if not top 5 WR in this league still. Look when Palmer was in this year and when he was not in. When he was in Fitz and Floyd both were putting up great #'s and the Cards were the best team in the league. After he got hurt there was litterally no offense. WR's cannot throw themselves the ball.
AP turns 30 in march. I assume you know how rare it is for a 30 year old running back to rush for 1,000 yards. I also assume you know that he has a cap # of $15,400,000. You're living on a prayer if you think we should keep him. They need to stay away from Dwayne Bowe too. The guy hasn't had a productive game or even a highlight reel play in 3 years.

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You said he had nothing left in the tank. The guy rushed for over 2000 yards 2 seasons ago. The 30 year old RB thing is not in the cards when talking about AP. This is a guy that also rushed for 2000 yards less than a year after destroying every ligment in his knee. While I agree he is not worth his cap # he is no where near past his prime. Bowe has not had a decent QB to ever throw him the ball. Yes he is a head case but what top WR isn't. They are all premadonna's.

true future
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
izzman
Jan 12 2015, 12:11 PM
You said he had nothing left in the tank. The guy rushed for over 2000 yards 2 seasons ago. The 30 year old RB thing is not in the cards when talking about AP. This is a guy that also rushed for 2000 yards less than a year after destroying every ligment in his knee. While I agree he is not worth his cap # he is no where near past his prime. Bowe has not had a decent QB to ever throw him the ball. Yes he is a head case but what top WR isn't. They are all premadonna's.
I'd be really interested to see your top 5 wr's if you think Fitz could still be one of them. He will be 32 when the season starts, hasn't had a 1000 season since 2011. I am am Fitz fan don't get me wrong but at this point you'd be getting Greg Jennings, a solid veteran receiver who is a nice guy to have but isn't going to really move the needle a significant amount. If they sign him fine, just don't break the bank for him.

As far as teaching CP work ethic give me a break. I'm sure Fitz is a very hard worker but:

A- It's not like the Vikings didn't have any hard workers this year that could show him how to work
B- If someone being paid huge amounts of money to play a game isn't going to work hard then I doubt some new player coming in is going to flip the switch for them.

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I guess I don't think he's a top WR in the NFL but he definitely would be an upgrade to anything we have an knows the nuances of the position not to mention an incredible red zone threat.

My Top 5 WRs:
1. Megaton
2. Julio Jones
3. Dez
4. Brandon Marshall
5. Antonio Brown

true future
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
izzman
Jan 12 2015, 06:52 PM
I guess I don't think he's a top WR in the NFL but he definitely would be an upgrade to anything we have an knows the nuances of the position not to mention an incredible red zone threat.

My Top 5 WRs:
1. Megaton
2. Julio Jones
3. Dez
4. Brandon Marshall
5. Antonio Brown
Didn't he have 2 tds this year? What makes him any different than Greg Jennings? Ok maybe he's a 10% better version of Greg Jennings, but again not moving the needle.

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2 TD's with the likes of Stanton and some other guy that was bagging groceries before he got called upon at the end of the year.

lilmatdog
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not to dismiss Fitz but I would take Odell Beckham Jr., Demaryius Thomas, Alshon Jeffery, Randell Cobb and Jordy Nelson, and a few others from this recent draft. Fitz is still a significant player in the game but it is a young mans game and we have had a few beasts come out of the college level in the last few years.

Having said that I would take Larry in a heart beat as long as we still have the money to fix our line... and draft me a darn runningback. :D

lilmatdog
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
First prediction.... Duron Carter!

6'5", skilled route runner who can go inside or outside. All star in the Canadian leagues who likes the team, the facilities, and the players, not to mention his dad, Cris Carter, is still an all time favorite in Minnesota.

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
lilmatdog
Jan 13 2015, 01:00 PM
First prediction.... Duron Carter!

6'5", skilled route runner who can go inside or outside. All star in the Canadian leagues who likes the team, the facilities, and the players, not to mention his dad, Cris Carter, is still an all time favorite in Minnesota.
AND Randy Moss, Jake Reed, and Cris Carter all told him to sign with Minnesota. Sounds like it is down to us and the Colts but that could change.

lilmatdog
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jeremy Maclin is interesting in the fact that he put up pretty good numbers with 2nd or 3rd string QB's flailing the ball his direction. He also isn't getting the attention the big guys, Bryant, Thomas, or Cobb, are getting although I think they will all stay with their clubs with the exception of Thomas if Payton retired and there was decent money on the table to leave.

lilmatdog
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Corner Backs
Brandon Flowers
Antonio Cromartie
Kareem Jackson
that is it, I'll put the money elsewhere.

Safeties
Devin McCourty
Tashone Gipson
Not sure we can afford McCourty but he would be ideal. Gipson was injured this year, a gamble.

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think I heard during the NE playoff game on Saturday that McCourtey had just resigned with them.

lilmatdog
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
izzman
Jan 13 2015, 02:33 PM
I think I heard during the NE playoff game on Saturday that McCourtey had just resigned with them.
Denver locked up their guy but McCourty is still on the market. I read about 8 1/2 million... I think he would lock up our secondary but it is a lot of money.

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Could have swore they said that McCourtey just got a new deal on Saturday, but if not I would go after him. Perfect compliment to Harrision Smith. I don't think you can throw 8.5 million at him and I highly doubt anyone else will either.

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't think they spend that much on a safety, if they do it means Greenway and another veteran are probably out the door.

Gonzaga1603
No Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well greenway is not good so I hope he is gone.

izzman
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
To be honest I am not sure that I would be all that upset if Greenway is gone. I think Hodges has earned the right to play in that spot and is younger as well as more athletic. Zimmer can get the most out of him.

grappler6
Member Avatar
Fantastic
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think Greenway belongs on our team as a starter, but it is dependent on his price tag.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: